My photo
Sedona, Arizona, United States
~Adventure Seeker ~ Animal Lover ~ Lifetime Learner ~ Battling Lyme ~ Contact: emily.sukiennik@me.com

Thursday, June 30, 2011

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." - Henry David Thoreau

I've decided that it's time to focus on myself. I've been in and out of relationships for so long (since highschool!) that I really just need some time to be ME. To not worry about anything but learning more about myself and what I stand for. I feel like I have a pretty solid idea, but there are definitely some things missing. For a month and a half, I am going to be on my own. 2 weeks in Moab, 2 weeks in San Francisco/Tahoe, 1 week in Yosemite National Park, and then to the first annual Gibbon Games in Salt Lake City, Utah. This is going to be an experiment in self discovery that I am thrilled to begin. I can't wait to find peace and solidarity; not depending on anyone or anything for happiness, but only myself. I am so grateful to have had such a great boyfriend that is allowing me the time to do this. Mike is a truly kind, understanding, and wise person that sometimes I'm not even sure he's real! He is more supportive of my decision to take this time than anyone could possibly be. He's been there, at this point: where I know I NEED this. Some things I plan to do on my trip are:

- Rig and walk Mt. Tam Highline (115 feet) in Marin, California. A line that has defeated me about 5 times previously.

- Wakeboard and Waterski at Hayley's family's house in Tahoe, CA (for the first time since Camp in Maine 4 years ago! I used to be a waterski instructor there, but once I left.....I never got the chance to do it!)

- See old friends and family in San Francisco (Andrew, Damian, Gail, Nick, Julia, and my Aunt Lane and Uncle Tom along with my Grandmother who has just moved into a home there).

- Wander the city of San Francisco, ALONE.

- Rig Taft Point Highline in Yosemite -115 ft. along with the Rostrum lines -20 ft. and 70 ft. and possibly the Yosemite Falls Line - 128 ft. (we'll see).

- Place in the top 3 at the Gibbon Games.....I better start training.

There are many more things that I want to do, but these are on top! Here are some recent pictures of my life:

"Twin Arches" in the Fiery Furnace, Arches National Park

A Keyhole I found

Me on our Canyoneering trip through the Fiery Furnace

Bess Rappeling

Canyon whipping on Lead, Ryan's Route on Potash Road (5.12 - 5.13)