My photo
Sedona, Arizona, United States
~Adventure Seeker ~ Animal Lover ~ Lifetime Learner ~ Battling Lyme ~ Contact: emily.sukiennik@me.com

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Transition from Gibbon to Balance Community


As some of you may already know, I have recently started working with a slackline company called Balance Community. It is run by a friend of mine, Jerry Miszewski, whom I deeply respect and admire. Jerry has contributed to the sport in countless ways such as gear development, gear testing, distribution of slackline products all in one place, a section on the website called "slack science" and a along with these contributions he continually pushes the limits of both highlining and longlining. Jerry is a world class athlete holding world records for both high and longlines.

I had been working with Gibbon Slacklines going on 3 years and for quite some time I found myself very confused and to be quite honest, pretty unhappy. I was consistently feeling frustrated and didn't seem to have the time to do what I truly loved anymore: highlining. In my opinion Gibbon is a trickline company, represeting only one aspect of the sport that I love so much. I will never stop supporting the owners and creators of Gibbon Slacklines, Jan and Robert, who have made a huge impact on the sport by creating easy to use slackline kits. But, it was time for me to find a place within the slackline community where I could truly shine. Although I love tricklining, my true passion is highlining and that's the main reason I've chosen to support Balance Community. I am so happy about my decision because I want to represent what I feel are the grass roots of the sport. For example: rigging (and learning how to rig) primitive systems out of whatever you have available, walking REALLY loose and challenging lines, walking really exposed highlines, using top quality gear & enjoying the sport for what it really is. This doesn't necessarily mean that I won't ever compete again; I just want want to spend my time and energy perfecting my art....highlining.



I'd like to take a second and thank some companies that have recently helped to support me OR my team: The Vertigirls..... Mountain Hardwear, Joby, Five Ten, Balance Community, Brooks Range Mountaineering, Sterling Rope, Petzl, Cascade Designs, & Falcon Guides. THANK YOU so much for seeing the value in what we do.