My photo
Sedona, Arizona, United States
~Adventure Seeker ~ Animal Lover ~ Lifetime Learner ~ Battling Lyme ~ Contact: emily.sukiennik@me.com

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Embarking on my own journey

I feel like I am finally ready to embark on my own personal journey. For the longest time I feel like I have been waiting for the right moment to take off, explore and do things for ME. If you follow me, it may seem like I have been doing just that; but, I haven't truly let go of the things that hold me back. Often times I feel myself tied down by finances, friends, a boyfriend, or worst of all: fear. Three years ago, I remember having this dream as I sat at my job in California: I imagined myself packing up my things into my car and taking off all alone to camp/live out of my car and experience the world through my own eyes. There's something about camping and living outside that brings me back to the basics of what life is really all about. For so long I've been living inside, spending too much time on the computer and dreaming about what it would be like to take off on my own. Back then I was terrified just thinking about doing something like this all alone! Today, I am finally at a point where I feel like I'm truly ready to do it. I want to learn how to live life only for myself and specifically, not depending on anyone else for my happiness. Being 25, almost 26, I feel like it's finally time to step up and learn what it means to truly live. This is really exciting for me and I'm going to be writing a lot along the way. My first stop is going to be Moab where I will be working as a waitress/bartender and camping/living out of my car to save money, climb, highline adventure as much as possible. I hope to save up enough money to do some traveling amongst other things. Here is a quote from one of my favorite books of all time, "Eay, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert, that sums up how I feel about what I'm about to do. 




“I've come to believe that there exists in the universe something I call "The Physics of The Quest"- a force of nature governed by laws as real as the laws gravity or momentum. And the rule of Quest Physics maybe goes like this: 

If you are brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and comforting (which can be anything from your house to your bitter old resentments) and set out on a truth-seeking journey (either externally or internally), and if you are truly willing to regard everything that happens to you on that journey as a clue, and if you accept everyone you meet along the way as a teacher, and if you are prepared - most of all -to face (and forgive) some very difficult realities about yourself....then truth will not be withheld from you." Or so I've come to believe.”  ― Elizabeth GilbertEat, Pray, Love